Golden State Mutual Life Insurance Co., Inc., West Adams District
Saturday, October 5th – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Healthy Housing Foundation by AHF in partnership with KJLH-FM 102.3 is hosting a community town hall to address gentrification, particularly in South L.A., and to discuss and brainstorm solutions to counteract the loss of historic communities and end displacement of L.A. residents.
Day-long gentrification town hall features four panel discussions with local and national leaders, free breakfast and lunch for attendees and participants.
LOS ANGELES (October 1, 2019) On Saturday, October 5th, housing justice advocates affiliated with ‘Healthy Housing Foundation by AHF,’ and ‘Housing Is A Human Right,’ in partnership with media powerhouse KJLH-FM 102.3 Radio, will host “Gentrification: The Community Strikes Back!,” a Community Town Hall to discuss and address gentrification in Los Angeles, particularly its impact in South L.A. and on communities of color.
The free, day-long Gentrification Town Hall will feature four panel discussions with local and national leaders discussing and brainstorming solutions to counteract the loss of historic communities and end displacement of L.A. residents. The four panels include: 1) ‘The Church’s Call and Response,’ 2) ‘Meeting of the Minds: How Leaders are Influencing and Educating Communities to End Gentrification,’ 3) ‘Gentrification and Displacement are Economic Justice & Civil Rights Issues,’ and 4) ‘Gentrification Sucks! How the iGeneration/Millennials are Buying Back the Block.’ The Town Hall will take place in the West Adams District from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, and free breakfast and lunch will be provided to town hall attendees and participants.
WHAT: South L.A. GENTRIFICATION TOWN HALL—Local and national leaders take part in 4 panel discussions addressing gentrification in Los Angeles, particularly its impact in South L.A. and on communities of color—in order to raise awareness and provide solutions
WHEN: Saturday, October 5, 2019 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
WHERE: Golden State Mutual Life Insurance Co., Inc.
1999 West Adams Blvd., L.A., CA 90018 (at Western Ave.)
WHO: See the full list of panelists and moderators under ‘Panels’ section (below):
Gentrification Town Hall Program & Panel Discussions
9:00 am Doors open & BREAKFAST provided to Gentrification Town Hall attendees & participants
Panel #1 The Church’s Call and Response Time: 10:05 am
- Pastor Wayne Chaney Jr., Oxygen TV Preachers of L.A.
- Pastor Xavier Thompson, Senior Pastor, Southern Saint Paul Church
- Pastor Shep Crawford, The Experience Christian Ministries
- MODERATOR: Holly Carter, Creator, Oxygen TV Preachers of L.A.; President & CEO of Relevé Entertainment
Panel #2 Meeting of the Minds: How Leaders are Influencing & Educating Communities to End Gentrification Time: 11:15 am
- Marc Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League
- Norm Nixon, former NBA Laker; President, Debbie Allen Dance Academy
- Michael Lawson, Ambassador of ICAO; CEO, Urban League of Los Angeles
- Michael Weinstein, President, AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF)
- MODERATOR: Dominique DiPrima, Emmy Award-winning, KJLH-FM 102.3 on-air personality
12:30 pm LUNCH provided to Gentrification Town Hall attendees and participants
Panel #3 Gentrification and Displacement are Economic Justice & Civil Rights Issues Time: 12:55 pm
- Kevin Harbour, volunteer, advocate, technology consultant and entrepreneur; sitting president, UCLA Black Alumni Association
- Tunua Thrash-Ntuk, Candidate for Long Beach City Council, 8thDistrict; leader of a local nonprofit in the Los Angeles and Orange County regions that has financed and built thousands of affordable housing units
- Brian Williams,Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for the Los Angeles Urban League
- MODERATOR:Michael Lawson, Ambassador of ICAO; CEO, Urban League of Los Angeles
Panel #4 Gentrification Sucks! How the iGeneration & Millennials are Buying Back the Block
Time: 2:05 pm
- Cameron Walker, Millennial homeowner; Strategy & Operations Consultant for K1
- Malia Smith, Millennial homeowner; Development Associate for Casestack Logistics
- Teo Hunter and Beny Ashburn, Founders, Crowns & Hops Brewery
- MODERATOR: Samantha Granberry, VP, Strategic Partnerships, Sales & Fundraising for AHF
For more information, please visit www.gentrificationsucks.org
# # #