Senior Pastor, Holman United Methodist Church
Rev. Kelvin Sauls, born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa, is an ordained Elder in the California-Pacific Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. Throughout the United Methodist connection, he is a mentor, coach and advocate in the areas of transformational spiritual leadership, social justice ministries of equality and dignity, economic equity, and multi-ethnic congregational development for community upliftment and empowerment.
A former executive and congregational strategist with two General Boards and the Annual Conference, Rev. Sauls is a passionate bridge-builder for cross-cultural and multi-ethnic congregational development in racially diverse communities.
As the Senior Pastor of Holman United Methodist Church, Rev. Sauls is committed to leveraging Holman’s legacy to engage in relevant multi-generational and vibrant multi-cultural ministries of hope and healing, compassion and restoration towards a more just and fair beloved community and world house. Through his catalytic and collaborative leadership, Holman continues to re-emerge as a hub of hope and healing, and a center of wellness and wholeness for the greater Los Angeles region.
His collaborative leadership has him involved in the following community justice initiatives in Los Angeles, California and throughout the United States:
- City Commissioner on the Los Angeles Homeless Services Commission
- Co-Founder of the South Los Angeles Transition Age Youth Foster Care & Homeless Collaborative, he now serves as the President of the Board of Directors
- Co-Convener of the Justice Not Jails Initiative of Progressive Christians United
- Co-founder of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration, he now serves as President of the Board of Directors
- Co-Founder of the Priority Africa Network, he now serves on the Board of Directors
- Board of Directors, The KOSHLAND Fund (San Francisco Foundation)
- Board of Directors, The Faith & Money Network
Within the United Methodist Church, Rev. Sauls provides leadership in the following areas:
- New Ministries Essential Ministries Team in the California Pacific Conference
- Board of Directors, National Justice for Our Neighbors (The United Methodist Committee on Relief/UMCOR)
- Convocation of Pastors of Black Churches (United Methodist Publishing House).
A published writer, poet and percussionist, and one who is passionate about fully exploring the depth, diverse and dynamic intersections of life, Rev. Sauls is married to Rev. Judi Wortham-Sauls, an ordained Elder in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.